Thursday, 23 February 2012

Online journal, entry 11

Per Viggo Bergsvik - Final Year Project
Online journal, entry 10

I have now tracked footage with Boujou, set the camera up in 3ds max, and begun animation. I need to finish about 15 seconds of animation, and that's not so much. My robot rig seems to be working perfectly so far, although I realise that some parts of my robot could be better designed in terms of movement. For example, the elbow joint has rotation points on two different places, which makes it a little wierd to control. It's descision I made when designing the robot, and it's not wrong, but it definately could be better. 

Other issues is the camera Fov (field of view) , which was a little hard to match in 3ds max as the file from Boujou did not contain the right one. I used a 35mm lens when filming, but when I changed the lens in Max to this it looked wrong. I have set up the camera approximately now though, and it works so far. I'm now on blocking animation. I'll post a preview of my blocking so far on the two first shots.

[img]

[img/]

Thursday, 16 February 2012

Online journal, entry 10

Per Viggo Bergsvik - Final Year Project
Online journal, entry 10

I put together the photos i shot at my filming day today, into a full hdri that I can use for lighting when I put my cg characte into my footage. Here's some process images:


the raw images I took on shooting day:




I merged the images from each side into 3 Hdri "sandwiches" in photoshop, then used Hdri Shop to unwrap them. I then put them into photoshop again to stich them together (and remove myself!) so that they could be used for lighting in my scene.





A testrender that shows some early result. I might upload a videoclip too.





I am now dealing with the tracking of the footage I filmed, so that I can put my character into it. I am using Boujou, Nuke and 3Ds max

Friday, 10 February 2012

Online journal, entry 09

Per Viggo Bergsvik - Final Year Project
Online journal, entry 09

I have made a difficult descission that took a lot of thought. As my project takes too much time as it is now, I need to cut down on anything I can. I will therefore only texture parts of the robot, and begin animation as soon as possible. I will use textures and shaders that resembles the final "perfect" product as much as I can, so that it's easy to replace later on when I have more time.

I have been sick for one week of my project, and I didn't get much done. I will send an email to the administration of the uni and try to get a weeks expansion of my project time. This will surely help me..

BUT

Enough jammering. I have done a lot of work since last time, despite all. I have rigged most of the character, and it is nearly ready for animation. I used CAT (character animation tool, I think!)in 3Ds max for some part of the model, like head, torso, hip and parts of the legs. The rest, like arms, fingers and toes are already ready for animation, as I have linked the geometry up. The reason I use a CAT rig inside the robot is because of the instant IK system I get, and the CAT animation layers, which are useful and easy to use. Not rigging the whole character is a cheap solution, and might not be the best on a longer project with lots of animation, but in my case, The Cg character is on screen for about 15 seconds. It will get the job done. I will post an image of the rig in it's current state.