Friday, 27 January 2012

Online journal, entry 08

Per Viggo Bergsvik - Final Year Project
Online journal, entry 08

It's a while since I posted something here now, So I have a lot to catch up on.

I have been modelling my robot, and I have had an unexpected issue. Modelling for realism takes so much time! Especially when modelling complicated mechanical objects, that needs to be unwrapped and subdivided. I have used 3 weeks more of time on modelling and unwrapping than I accounted for, and I fear that the texturing part will actually take longer. I am supposed to be intrigating my finished cg character into the footage by now. Luckily I have accounted almost 6 weeks on the animation part. If I can somehow press it down to half the time, maybe things will work out. But the way I see it, I might not have time to complete this project in the matter of how I wanted, esspecially with all other modules.

On a note, in my other module, Contemporary studies in games, I have decided to do a research on Modelling, texturing and lighting techniques used for creatind realism, and I will fuse it with my Practical project on thise areas. Because of that, I will not go in to deep detail on how I have done my modelling, texturing and lighting in my practical project report.

Here are some images in my process.






Per Viggo Bergsvik

Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Online journal, entry 07

Per Viggo Bergsvik - Final Year Project
Online journal, entry 07


I put together the footage that I did yesterday, and I am posting it here. On a note, I made two mistakes when I did the filming. The first, was to film in a .mov format that only could be opened if you had the codec (made for mac), I had to convert the raw movie files that I had, which means extra work. The second, and bigger mistake was that my footage were a little underexposed, as you may see. I can fix that in post, but nevertheless, it drains some of the quality of the image.



Per Viggo Bergsvik

Monday, 9 January 2012

Online journal, entry 06

Per Viggo Bergsvik - Final Year Project
Online journal, entry 06


Christmas is over and a half a year has gone. I don't feel like I have done so much progress since last post, Because I have been struggling with the design of my CG robot. The functionality vs design issue is harder to overcome than I thought, I and I thought it would be hard from the beginning. Every little piece of the model needs to work well with other parts, look consistent with other parts, and function with other parts (as long as it is going to show in my video, that is). I am nearly done on the drawingboard, and will post the final blueprint for my CG robot whet it is done.

One other thing I need to do, is to get the footage lined up, and the shots in order so it fits thae animatic. No easy task. It seems that real footage and stopmotion-like animatics are different from one another. I should not be surprised. I will also post what I have set together when it is done.


Per Viggo Bergsvik