Wednesday, 6 June 2012

At last, my project is finished. This is the final video, with a breakdown at the end

I am no longer a student, and so, this site will no longer be my "teesside research journal", but just my workblog. I will post work in progress and I will be updating as often as I have new projects going on.

Friday, 20 April 2012

online journal, entry 15

Since last time, I have been working on my composition in Nuke, and today I have been rotoscoping for many hours. I am content with the result.

I am almost done with my soda can animation scene, which will appear at the end of my film. I modelled and animated the can i 3Ds max, and added effects and color correction in After Effects.

this is one image of the sequence I rendered from 3Ds max, and next is the final shot I rendered from AE








There's no sound as of now, but that will be added for the final piece ofcourse. I have had a meeting with a great guy called Alex, and he's happy to make music for my project.

things are looking good.

Tuesday, 10 April 2012

nline journal, entry 14

Per Viggo Bergsvik - Final Year Project
Online journal, entry 14


 Okay. A while since I posted last time, as there is much to do these days.

This is what I have been doing since last time.

* rendered everything from 3ds max
* comping in Nuke (ongoing)
*  begun working on the soda can scene, at the end of the film.

Here are some process images from the soda can scene. I used a subsurface scattering material for the glowing metal in the scene to make it look belivable. The metal cools down and the brand "dare" is revealed. I first tried to create the glow effect by blending and animating maps and self illumination, to create the effect, but this way turned out much better.


SSS material
blending maps and using self illumination




Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Online journal, entry 13

Per Viggo Bergsvik - Final Year Project
Online journal, entry 13


Okay, long between posts these days, but here's some updates.0

I've been doing a lot of different things the last weeks. I have been learning Nuke, a compostiting software which is node based. It uses some complicated systems which are hard to get my head around, but I manage, thanks to the book Nuke 101 by Ron Ganbar.  And in case I really get stuck I allways have Adobe After Effects in backhand. My plan is to do the color correction, effects, and compositing in Nuke.

Also, I have been doing a lot of textures, which are going great. I have written specificly about that in my Contemporary studies in games blog.

The lighting part is the best part. My Hdri seems to lit the scene perfectly, and I don't need to worry about it at all. It just works.

Right now I'm just tweaking the scene, adding/adjusting materials as needed to produce the final render. My plan is to use atleast these renderlayers:

- Beauty
- Ambient Occlusion
- Velocity (for motion blur)
- object ID
- shadow drop

To get more control of the final output I might add  more.

Here's some testrenders illustrating the process so far:


Monday, 5 March 2012

Online journal, entry 12

Per Viggo Bergsvik - Final Year Project
Online journal, entry 12

Okay! I'm done with the animation! It took me 4 weeks less than I counted for on my time schedule. I realised that it would maybe take less time than I planned, but this is a massive releaf. I might even get some textures finished. I will let a preview of my composition speak for itself now. The composition itself is not nearly finished. I have only placed the cg on top of the footage to see the whole picture, and acting in it's current state.